From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: forum-mods@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 06:45:04
1 On 02/04/19 08:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> A compromise / an alternative to removing OTW (if deemed a bad thing) would
6 >> be to limit its public reach by allowing only registered forum users to
7 >> access it.
10 > If it isn't a bad thing, then why would we want to hide it? If it is
11 > a bad thing, why would we want to stop merely at hiding our shame?
12 >
13 As noted, I do not believe Off the Wall to be a "shame", but we have
14 considered limiting it to registered users for purely practical reasons,
15 primarily as a means of limiting the appeal of the forums to spammers.
16 Making it accessible only to those who have logged in does not remove
17 its value as a social area while it would keep crawlers, for spam bots
18 and search engines alike, out.