From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: forum-mods@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 06:45:04
On 02/04/19 08:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn > <chithanh@g.o> wrote: >> >> A compromise / an alternative to removing OTW (if deemed a bad thing) would >> be to limit its public reach by allowing only registered forum users to >> access it. >> > > If it isn't a bad thing, then why would we want to hide it? If it is > a bad thing, why would we want to stop merely at hiding our shame? >
As noted, I do not believe Off the Wall to be a "shame", but we have considered limiting it to registered users for purely practical reasons, primarily as a means of limiting the appeal of the forums to spammers. Making it accessible only to those who have logged in does not remove its value as a social area while it would keep crawlers, for spam bots and search engines alike, out.