From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:49:30
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> On 10:02 Sat 29 Nov , Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote: >> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the >> manifests. > > To those of you telling us to look at what you do now, what you're > saying is that you're good in your current role. That doesn't support > why you would be good in a different role as a council member. > > In other words, writing good code doesn't make you good at everything in > Gentoo. It doesn't mean you would make a good docs writer, a good devrel > member, a good trustee, or a good council member. They all involve > different activities or different levels of thought. > > All I'd like to hear is the same thing I'd want from a job candidate -- > what makes you uniquely qualified? We have plenty of technically good > developers running, so that doesn't exactly differentiate you. > > What is your vision for what the council should do? How about what > Gentoo should do? How would you make it happen?
My first priority within the first two months would be to overhaul the documents describing Gentoo's structure (GLEP 39 for example) and to clarify and write down important procedures (like voting, etc.). Even if this is boring work I think it is important for the future since it will help to avoid unnessecary discussions which cost a lot of energy and time, which is better used to develop new things. After that I'd like to do something about our communication problems (yes, we have one): We definetely have to do something about our website and we have to give users more information on what we're doing, why we're doing it and where they can get involved. Donnie made a good start once by posting more news to the front page but he can't be the only one. (Convincing project leads to write a summary from time to time for example.) Also, the gentoo-dev mailinglist did see more activity in the past. Maybe all developers currently not reading the list could rejoin so we can actually discuss new ideas again with (almost) every developer involved. From the technical side I'd like to change metadata.xml even further (see my proposals), push projects trying to automate version bump detection, bug-assigning, etc. (most of the boring tasks) and tree signing to help developers focus on the interesting stuff. That's it (more or less), you can also read my manifest ( or my blog entry (currently only on ... and don't forget to vote for me if you like the mentioned ideas :-) Cheers, Tiziano