From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Corporate affiliations of Council members
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 19:30:40
1 On 2020-06-23 22:50, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 23. Juni 2020, 20:48:04 EEST schrieb Patrick Lauer:
3 >
4 >> (And this is why I'm against things like the current py2 purge: There is
5 >> code out there that works, can't be rewritten to py3 in a reasonable
6 >> time*, and hasn't been rewritten in another language yet. There is no
7 >
8 >> tl;dr: I want to be lazy, so stop breaking stuff ;)
9 >
10 > You gotta be kidding me.
11 >
12 > If your employer wants to work on obsolete (yes) stuff, he should task you
13 > with maintaining it.
14 >
15 > In the context of a distribution that does *not* only mean "keep things until
16 > they are so rotten you can't distinguish them from the floor anymore", but it
17 > also means fixing bugs and keeping the dependency tree in a sane state.
18 >
19 > So, in this case I would strongly recommend to the higher-ups of A***** to pay
20 > you (or anyone else) to commit to keeping
21 > * not just what *you* need in Python2 maintained and working, but
22 > * to maintain the whole python-related package tree in a consistent state
23 > then.
24 > Not just complaining that others don't volunteer the work.
25 >
26 > (This argument applies equally to other cases, like S***.)
29 So, uhm.
30 I'll let you claim it was late and the beer was talking.
31
32 But that's a totally incoherent hallucination you're projecting on me.
35 The problem with 'obsolete' stuff is that it's often very useful, but no
36 one wants to spend time rewriting it.
37
38 So for example, codeswarm. The log parser it uses to convert
39 cvs/svn/git... logs into an intermediate representation is most horrible
40 python. I've patched it just enough to satisfy my needs, so I can make
41 nice codeswarm videos, but upstream went dormant around 2012. no chance
42 of having that rewritten into py3.
43
44 Young startups like Google struggle to find the manpower to migrate, see
45 for example Chromium still requiring python2 because ... err... yes.
46
47 Most of the stuff from the Apache Foundation is similarly unmaintained,
48 but the useful parts are useful so people will use them. Rewriting lots
49 of enterprisey code is no fun, so it won't happen soon.
50
51 If I'm not mistaken 'offlineimap' is similarly bitrotting away.
54 At work I have one (1) legacy bit that's used in monitoring that uses
55 python2, and it'll age out at some point and doesn't /need/ rewriting
56 because, well, why rewrite what goes into the trash can.
57 (Meanwhile I don't remember any code changes since perl 5.18 or so, that
58 stuff Just Works, even Go is easy to update with literally 4 lines of
59 code changing from 1.11 to 1.12 - so low-maintenance things exist, they
60 are just old and boring and no one talks about them)
61
62 Your hallucination that we don't update things is fascinating, but not
63 based on any observations.
64
65 But there's one difficulty in upgrading: Some migrations are
66 destructively expensive, and can't be automated easily. It took us crazy
67 long to migrate everything to gcc5 because upstream was unwilling to
68 understand dynamic linking. Incidents like that make one more
69 conservative ... and it would be nice if gentoo could be at least
70 neutral and not act as a damage amplifier for such situations.
71
72 Similarly, EOL'ing python 3.5 in Gentoo ahead of upstream caused a
73 little bit of friction and forced some people to spend time they had
74 budgeted about 2-3 months later roughly now. Which doesn't increase
75 their motivation, but who needs friends when you have a nice up to date
76 Gentoo.
77
78 Would be nice if we could minimize churn, and have reasonable upgrade
79 paths. Then maybe our users would spend less time on upgrades and more
80 on contributions (or do we want to make things artificially difficult so
81 we can pretend to be elite?)
84 Have fun,
85
86 Patrick