From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [rfc] /usr/portage sync source options (and recommendations)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 01:53:20
1 On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 02:37:53 +0100
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi there!
7 > My impression is that:
8 >
9 > * a large number of people still sync /usr/portage using plain
10 > rsync,
11 >
12 > * it is not a trivial choice which source to switch to.
13 >
14 > Do we have documentation comparing options for syncing /usr/portage?
17 > The rest of this mail is a collection of methods that I am aware of.
18 > It could become the start of a wiki page if missing or so.
19 >
20 > Best
24 > Sebastian
27 > ===
28 >
29 > Sync options that I am aware of include:
30 >
31 > * Plain rsync
32 >
33 > * Git: 4x direct source (Ebuilds + DTD + GLSA + News)
34 >
35 > * Git: combined mirror [1]
36 >
37 > * webrsync: Plain
38 >
39 > * webrsync: With GPG [2]
40 >
41 > * ..?
44 > The key questions for differences and picking I see are:
45 >
46 > * Does it use secure transport, e.g. SSL?
47
48 The webrsync module needs to be re-written in python to better fit the
49 new plugin-sync system. It can then take advantage of gkeys use of the
50 ssl-fetch lib which layman and mirrorselect are using for verified ssl
51 connections and downloads, complete with gpg verification. Zac made a
52 patch for the current webrsync module that uses gkeys for verification,
53 but it is waiting for a stable release of gkeys before it will be
54 released.
57 > * Does it verify GPG signatures?
58
59 Currently, Only GPG enabled webrsync. The meta-manifest system code
60 from gsoc-2016 is in the process of being worked on and will be merged
61 into portage very soon. It needs a couple updates for the Changelog
62 changes (I believe) and I am working to get another gkeys release out
63 that should be able to go stable. With that the meta-manifest code and
64 gkeys use will go into portage, so the new system will be capable of
65 normal rsync with partial tree downloads. It will then gpg verify
66 everything in the local tree.
70 > * Does it support incremental updates?
73 A new meta-manifest enabled rsync tree will support both gpg
74 verification as well as partial tree downloads.
77 > * Does it come with metadata/md5-cache pre-generated?
78 >
79 > * How much delay does it have?
82 > [1] https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
83 > [2]
84 > http://blog.siphos.be/2011/07/emerge-webrsync-and-gpg-verification/
87 I hope to get a gkeys release out by the end of the current holidays
88 which includes all teh gsoc-2016 work. Plus some other changes that
89 should make gkeys stable (including a semi-automated update system for
90 users. With a little help, the gkeys-ldap portion of the repo will begin
91 to get merged into infra to auto-generate the seed files.
92
93 Also, infra had been looking at getting keycards for new infra
94 openpgp keys which will be used as part of the gpg process.
97 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>