From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 17:38:59
1 Hello,
2
3 After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to
4 start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more
5 like Sunrise but with some automation in mind.
6
7 Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch,
8 and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from
9 private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid
10 depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e.
11 public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev.
12
13 Now, reviews are normally done on commit ranges; by default, from
14 current state of public to current state of dev. When such a range is
15 reviewed, every commit belonging to it gains reputation. When a range
16 of commits gets reputation of 3, it is merged to public.
17
18 Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3
19 rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore,
20 a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users.
23 Users gain reviewing privilege also via reputation points. If a commit
24 range including user's commit gets merged to master, user gets 1 rep
25 point (independently of number of commits in the range). When user gets
26 5 rep points, he can start reviewing stuff.
27
28 Finally, besides positive approval we have option of flagging. You can
29 flag commits, e.g. for malicious code, vandalism, etc. If a commit is
30 flagged, merging it is blocked until a dev resolves the flag.
31 Furthermore, devs can issue bans to users responsible for the bad stuff.
32
33 That's my idea, roughly. The main points are:
34
35 - stuff is reviewed before publishing to users,
36
37 - people are encouraged to review stuff, as previous unreviewed commits
38 are going to block their own,
39
40 - initially reviews are done by devs but as users gain reputation, they
41 start being able to review ebuilds committed by others,
42
43 - flagging gives extra protection against mistakes.
44
45 Your updated thoughts?
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny