From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 13-11-2012
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 18:02:30
1 On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:38:20 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [...]
5 > > The end result of this assumption is that the use of
6 > > gen_usr_ldscript() and the move of libs from /usr/lib to /lib will
7 > > become deprecated, correct? I think it's pertinent to note this (or
8 > > whatever other changes will then be requested/required for Council
9 > > to decide on) within this discussion, if not also within the
10 > > "plan"..
11 >
12 > On Linux, yes, you are correct. I wouldn't propose touching it for the
13 > *bsd platforms.
14 >
15 > Also, once everyone switches over, this deprecation would be
16 > transparent. The calls to gen_usr_ldscript would be removed from
17 > ebuilds where possible, and the function itself could be disabled on
18 > linux. Once this is done, when packages are rebuilt, the libraries
19 > would migrate back to /usr/lib.
22 (I hadn't seen that thread.)
23
24 Removing it from ebuilds implies touching it for *bsd platforms. A lot
25 of ebuilds are shared between the g/*bsd and g/linux port, that's
26 somewhat the point of the whole thing. Of course, there may be
27 linux-only packages where the calls to gen_usr_ldscript will become
28 useless, but in general these calls should remain and the function
29 shall be a no-op on platforms where this is desired.