From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 03:05:55
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 30-06-2010 00:12, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
5 > Jorge,
8 > On 06/17/10 03:10, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
9 >> So everyone can have an idea, I'd suggest looking at the list of
10 >> the open retirement bugs[1]. As there seems to be some confusion
11 >> about the policies to retire developers, please read the
12 >> undertakers page[2].
13 >
14 > Interesting links, thanks.
17 > Two things come to my mind: Step 2 of the undertakers page reads:
18 >
19 > "When sending an email to the developer in question, make sure you
20 > tell him, that he might get retired due to being inactive."
21 >
22 > If I'm not mistaken this is telling the developer about potential
23 > retirement on first direct contact. If that's true I don't
24 > consider it very sensitive. After all our goal is to keep that
25 > developer in, not out. So my proposal is: please add another two
26 > weeks and a second mail so the first one does not mention
27 > retirement. How about that?
30 One aspect of the undertakers work that is not mentioned in the
31 project page is that we generally start our work from the mails people
32 send announcing their retirement and from the automatic activity mails
33 that are sent to our alias.
34 So as stated in step 2 and after doing a filtering of active people
35 from the above mails, we start by approaching developers, their
36 project(s) lead(s) and the developers themselves trying to investigate
37 whether a developer is MIA, really stopped contributing or if he / she
38 is active in other ways. We only move on to step 3 where we reopen the
39 bug and start sending the official e-mails about possible retirement,
40 if we are convinced the developer is really inactive.
41 You have a very good point and one that the undertakers team really
42 embraces - the goal of the undertakers work is not to "kick"
43 developers out, but to get them to resume contribution to the project.
44 There are however certain minimal levels of commitment that we expect
45 and ask from developers.
48 > The other thing is: what are the reasons to retire inactive
49 > developers? Are these reasons documented somewhere?
50
51 There are some considerations about retirement in section 3[1] of the
52 "Developer Relations Policy Guide"[2] and the undertakers project
53 page[3] states that undertakers "handle{s} developer retirement, both
54 when developers announce their retirement as well as due to developer
55 inactivity."
56
57 The following is a list with a few reasons to retire inactive developers:
58
59 * security considerations regarding access to Gentoo infra, including
60 tampering of the tree
61 * need to ensure that maintainers are accessible, take care of
62 packages and bugs and that they reply on due time to community
63 contacts and requests
64 * desire to have project and team membership, as well as package
65 maintenance reflect reality
66 * make it clear what areas of the project are understaffed and what
67 packages require new maintainers
68 * need to ensure that developers keep up to date regarding policies
69 and use of the tree by using it
70
71 [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/policy.xml#doc_chap3
72 [2] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/policy.xml
73 [3] -
74 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/undertakers/index.xml#doc_chap1
75
76 > Thanks!
80 > Sebastian
83 - --
84 Regards,
85
86 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
87 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections