From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:29:02
1 >> To get this mis-concept out again I need your help.
2 >> There is no such thing as slacking in Gentoo - no matter how many weeks
3 >> you ran without commits. It's time to get this understanding back to
4 >> its healthy counterpart.
8 I'm not sure what problem you are trying to tackle.
9
10 The way I see it, there are a few types of "slacker" status.
11
12 There are those who are just plain busy, and can't respond in a timely
13 manner due to real-life issues. Then there are a group who just don't
14 have time for Gentoo as a regular maintenance task anymore, but still
15 participate in discussions, development, etc. Then there's the last
16 group who are completely unresponsive and inactive -- these are the ones
17 that are real blockers.
18
19 I don't like the idea of pretending there's no such thing as slacking,
20 because there is.
21
22 We do have a practical problem (though I don't know how serious it is).
23 We have healthy roll calls in some herds, but the developers are in a
24 certain range of active to unresponsive. When the herd is filled up,
25 this gives developers and users the impression that it *should* be well
26 tendered, but that may not be the case.
27
28 Steve