From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Staffing Needs refurbished!
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 20:22:16
1 Hi, everyone.
4 TL;DR: I've refurbished the 'Staffing Needs' page [1], adding 'Urgency'
5 and 'Difficulty' fields, and fixed sorting. Please update your requests
6 setting those two values and/or add new needs as you see fit [2].
9 First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies to
10 the project mails so far. For the projects whose members did not reply,
11 I'd like to ask you to do so. If you've lost the mail, feel free to just
12 ping me.
13
14 Now, to the topic at hand. From the replies gotten so far (and that only
15 includes projects that are active enough to reply early), the need for
16 volunteers is much greater than I anticipated. However, the need differs
17 between the projects and ranges from 'this project is practically dead
18 until someone can revive it' to 'we always appreciate more help but
19 we're good now'.
20
21 That said, the 'Staffing Needs' page [1] is pretty full already, with
22 requests ranging -- again -- from non-urgent to urgent. I found it
23 extremely confusing with all that data just dumped in one big table,
24 and I wondered how to improve it.
25
26 As a first idea, I've added an 'Urgency' field. It's a numeric value
27 from 1 to 5 (1 = least urgent, 5 = very urgent) that defines how much
28 you need new people. It comes with nice colorful urgency bars (which
29 might require a fancy CSS3-capable browser), and ability to sort.
30
31 Necessary bits already in place, I've also decided to add a 'Difficulty'
32 field which can be used to define how hard the task would be for
33 a volunteer, i.e. how much of skills/training is required.
34
35 While reworking the table, I also accidentally fixed sorting ;-).
36
37 I would like to ask that all teams that filed staffing needs already,
38 look through them and set Urgency and Difficulty appropriately. I also
39 encourage the other teams to visit [2] and add their staffing needs
40 appropriately.
41
42 If you have any ideas how to improve the page even more, possibly
43 classify the needs better, your comments will also be most welcome.
46 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
47 [2]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs/Maintenance
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny