From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, games@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:32:05
1 On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, October 11 at 19:00 UTC in
5 > #gentoo-council on freenode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
8 > or vote on.
11 So, this has been going around in various circles, and I think it is
12 better to just air stuff out here. There are lots of arguments for
13 and against this. I'm interested in what the general sense is, beyond
14 just those who have been vocal in bringing this up.
15
16 I'd like the Council to consider:
17 1. Decide that games should not be owned by a games group, and that
18 in the default configuration users should not have to be in the games
19 group to run games.
20 2. Games should be installed in /usr and not /usr/games as with most
21 applications
22 3. Assuming 1&2 are both approved, deprecate games.eclass. Otherwise
23 modify it accordingly.
24 4. If 1&2 aren't approved, when should the games policy apply? Does
25 it include games bundled in kde/gnome/etc? Do we intend to give more
26 or less deference to maintainers when there is a dispute over whether
27 something is a "game?" I'm not going to ask the Council to define
28 "game."
29
30 I don't want to get too much further into detail than that (does
31 nethack bones go in /var/lib/nethack, or /var/lib/games/nethack, and
32 what gid is used?). I think that beyond a point it is best left to
33 the games team or maintainers. Honestly, I'm not even 100% convinced
34 that we shouldn't leave the whole thing to the games team, but right
35 now we don't have an active one, and it seems like a lot of people are
36 passionate about it so I'm more inclined to set a policy now than let
37 the games team set a policy and then yell at them for getting it
38 wrong.
39
40 I'll go ahead and say now that from a personal standpoint I think we
41 should approve 1&2, deprecate the eclass, and #4 is moot. I'm not
42 sure I'll end up voting that way because Gentoo policy is more than
43 personal preference, but I'm thinking that simpler is better here, and
44 it works for everything else that involves moving images on the
45 screen, sound, etc.
48 Rich