From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 23:02:37
1 On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:12:49 AM EDT Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu wto, 26.06.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
3 >
4 > napisał:
5 > > To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
6 > > myself ;-).
7 >
8 > And I'd like to ask the inevitable question: what do you think should be
9 > the roles of Gentoo Council and Trustees appropriately?
10
11 The Gentoo Council is responsible for the technical direction of the
12 distribution. This can be viewed as ambiguous by the term "global" being used
13 to define what the council is, but I would offer that this is speaking to
14 global issues within the scope of projects and the reorganization that occured
15 within GLEP 39. It did not intend to infringe upon the responsibilities nor
16 role of the Gentoo Foundation.
17
18 The Gentoo Foundation, including the officers and trustees which comprise it,
19 are legally and financially responsible to the distribution. As noted in the
20 by-laws, the Foundation is held liable from a legal perspective for matters
21 occuring within the distribution. This is seen not only in the by-laws within
22 the rights to indemnifcation, but is driven by American law of incorporated
23 entities. As such, I find it most important to consider why we ought to ensure
24 these responsibilities are delineated appropriately.
25
26 As current officers of the Foundation and council members have expressed, it may
27 be wise to dissolve the foundation as it exists today in the form an
28 incorporation within the state of New Mexico. This would be done in favor of
29 something such as SPI (Software in the Public interest) or another
30 organization willing to legally and financially represent Gentoo as a
31 distribution. This does not *absolve* the distribution from any current
32 responsibilities now though. We must organize and communicate our intention
33 as a distribution to deal with all legal and financial matters.
34
35 My opinion is to dissolve the Foundation as it exists today in favor of an
36 organization that specializes in the types of matters we do not. This is
37 *not* targeting any current officers or trustees within the Foundation, but
38 factually stating that they do not contain the required credentials or
39 expertise to handle such matters. Staffing such positions from a demographic of
40 computer scientists, programmers, etc is not a wise choice. I want to clarify
41 that this is not targeting the aptitude of such individuals to excel given
42 time and task constraints were removed.
43
44 Let the experts handle such matters and let us focus on making a spectacular
45 distribution.
46
47 -Aaron