From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 22:06:07
1 Dnia 2015-04-07, o godz. 00:37:04
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:59:22 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
5 > [...]
6 > > > Hmm, that's a hard question. I tried to consider this issues from a
7 > > > point of view of a user of such arch. If package is not used or
8 > > > user may delete it and its deps without much harm, it doesn't affect
9 > > > user at all. If it is used and needed, then in case of:
10 > > >
11 > > > - one package with removed stable keyword a user have to add to
12 > > > package.keywords only a single package, though it might be
13 > > > difficult to locate such package, because portage deptree failure
14 > > > events may be really obscure sometimes;
15 > > >
16 > > > - all subtree of stable keywords is removed; then user have to
17 > > > add all these packages to package.keywords, portage messages should
18 > > > be clear here (but one never knows), though manual keywording of
19 > > > hundred of packages will be irritating at best (even using "cat/*"
20 > > > masks). So if number of affected installed packages is large, users
21 > > > will likely move to ~arch all their setup.
22 > > >
23 > > > So from user's perspective stable deptree broken in single point is
24 > > > a better solution, but(!) if portage will cleanly suggest this
25 > > > point.
26 > > >
27 > > > Another issue to consider: what if we have one such package that
28 > > > broke stable deptree, then after awhile another one and so on. In
29 > > > the result stable tree will got corrupted beyond repair.
30 > > >
31 > > > Maybe some grace period will help here? E.g. remove stable keyword
32 > > > from a single package, wait for 30 days (or so) for reaction from a
33 > > > team, and then dekeyword all reverse dependencies.
34 > >
35 > > Which means developers can't commit properly for 30 days. Really
36 > > awesome solution, thank you. Please ping QA instantly once you do it,
37 > > you'll save us time figuring who to ban for the breakage.
38 >
39 > I sad nowhere I'm going to do it. We are discussing opportunities
40 > to fix current sore situation. Threatening people with bans just
41 > for their thoughts reminds me of George Orwell's Thought Police...
42
43 You are discussing something that has already been proven impossible
44 like you're trying to make it possible via introducing more noise.
45
46 > > Let me remind you: once you break dependency tree on *ANY* stable
47 > > architecture, repoman won't let you commit. Travis turns red. All pull
48 > > requests are marked as broken.
49 >
50 > Repoman, travis and other QA tools can be fixed if policy changes.
51 > That's not a problem. Right now we have an all-green travis, but
52 > outdated, broken and likely insecure packages it tree marked as
53 > stable. That is the problem we're trying to discuss here.
54
55 How can they be fixed? By making them ignore dependency breakages? What
56 is the use of QA tools if you disable the most important QA check just
57 to push your some really stupid idea through.
58
59 > And as I see this problem has no good solution, so one less painful
60 > for users should be chosen. If this will require a QA policy
61 > update, then it should be done.
62
63 And thanks to this 'less painful' solution people lately had a real
64 hard time due to app-eselect/ move. Sure, it looks good on a first
65 glance but then you get into the fine details and everything falls
66 apart. Of course, some people simply don't care about the fine details
67 at all.
70 Best regards,
71 Michał Górny