From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 17:57:56
1 On 06/11/2018 01:27 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2018, NP-Hardass wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 06/10/2018 04:34 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >> [...]
6 >
7 >>> Copyright Attribution
8 >>> ---------------------
9 >>>
10 >>> All files included in Gentoo projects must contain an appropriate
11 >>> copyright notice, as defined by this policy.
12 >>>
13 >>> A proper copyright notice appears near the top of the file, and reads::
14 >>>
15 >>> Copyright YEARS LARGEST-CONTRIBUTOR [OTHER-CONTRIBUTORS] and others
16 >>>
17 >>> The largest contributor is whatever entity owns copyright to some
18 >>> portion of the largest number of lines in the file. Additional
19 >>> contributors can be listed, but this is neither required nor
20 >>> recommended. The "and others" text may be omitted if the explicitly
21 >>> listed contributors hold copyright to the entire file.
22 >
23 >> Why is this not recommended? Here are a couple of scenarios that came to
24 >> mind that lead to me to question how that would play out:
25 >> If developer A writes 51% of the lines of an ebuild and developer B
26 >> writes 49%, should B not be listed?
27 >
28 > With the current policy neither of them is listed, so listing A would
29 > be an improvement. The goal is to keep things simple, and listing only
30 > the largest contributor looks like the simplest solution. For example,
31 > listing the two largest contributors would lead to similar problems.
32 > What should we do if A and B each write 34% and C writes 32%?
33 >
34 > In a previous version of the draft, we had required a full list of
35 > copyright holders to be listed somewhere in the file, and 60% of the
36 > lines to be accounted for:
37 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/glep.git/commit/?id=bb756839bbd403059f6faeceaa114346d2a840d7
38 >
39 > We changed that because neither tracing the number of lines nor
40 > maintaining a list of authors in every ebuild seems feasible.
41 >
42 >> What if all the metadata lines defining variables consists of 75% of the
43 >> file and was written by A, but the core functionality of the ebuild (25%
44 >> by size) was written by B?
45 >
46 > That would get us into a discussion on which portions of an ebuild are
47 > copyrightable and which are not. Again, we want simple rules there.
48 >
49 >> If A writes an ebuild, and B replaces a majority (>50%) of the ebuild,
50 >> should B remove A from attribution?
51 >> I think that specifying that substantial (though not necessarily
52 >> specific in defining this) contributions/contributors should included in
53 >> the copyright attribution and that substantial contribution attribution
54 >> *is* recommended.
55 >
56 > See above. Explicitly listing only one copyright holder in the
57 > copyright line looks like the simplest possible solution. Listing
58 > nobody would be even simpler, but I think that you cannot have a
59 > copyright line without at least one entity.
60 >
61 > Also note that the exercise is _not_ about giving credit to authors
62 > (and we currently don't do that with the Foundation copyright either).
63 > The purpose of the copyright notice is to make a statement that the
64 > work is copyrighted, in order to defeat a possible defense of
65 > "innocent infringement".
66
67 Hence the "and others." Got it. I think that slipped my mind when I
68 typed up the email. IANAL, so as long as "and others" would hold its
69 weight in copyright litigation, SGTM; my points are pretty much moot. I
70 guess I (wrongly) assumed it was partly a crediting thing.
71
72 Thanks for the clarification.
75 > Ulrich
80 NP-Hardass