From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:37:15
1 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 08/17/2015 07:33 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> After reading some replies in this thread, I thought I would share a
4 >> little info about -user mailing list. I'm a long term subscriber there
5 >> and read most threads.
6 >>
7 >> If someone asks a question about something Gentoo related, members do
8 >> try to help. Example. If someone asks about RIAD, I don't reply
9 >> because I don't use it and have no experience with it. However, others
10 >> that do will reply and try to help. Same with systemd and other
11 >> topics. If it is a topic that very few or no one uses, then they may
12 >> not get help or very little of it.
13 >>
14 >> Basically, the only way I see that a person won't get help is if no one
15 >> uses or has knowledge on that topic. I have a couple times asked
16 >> questions about Ubuntu and got replies. There are a few people that use
17 >> or have recently used Ubuntu and can answer some questions or they may
18 >> be distro indifferent. Asking on the -user mailing list is better than
19 >> subscribing to Ubuntu, asking and then unsubscribing or joining their
20 >> forums.
21 >>
22 >> Hope that helps shed a little light that we do try to help if, IF, we can.
23 >>
24 > You are totally right. I didn't mean to discredit our support channels
25 > which do a fantastic job. I was just noticing that there are still a few
26 > things we can and should improve. Adding such sensible choices to the
27 > official documentation (in what way exactly are details) is not only a
28 > documentation improvement, but also a clear statement from our side and
29 > encourages the community even further to support and openly discuss
30 > these things everywhere (as long as they are Gentoo related).
31 >
32 > The improvement of the documentation will also raise awareness about
33 > these choices and encourage users to use them. That again may improve
34 > our support situation, because more users will have knowledge about
35 > these things.
40 It's one of those things that can be read two different ways. I got
41 your real meaning but just in case, wanted to be sure.
42
43 There is almost always room for improvement. It's been a while since I
44 did a fresh install but I still remember one thing when I did my first
45 install back in 2003, the Gentoo docs are some of the best I had ever
46 seen. I don't think I have seen anyone else come even close. The docs
47 may have had issues at times but once they needed some TLC, someone
48 stepped up and got them up to date. This seems to happen every few
49 years or so.
50
51 The only thing I would add, put options in the right places for people
52 who want to use RAID, LVM, BTRFS and other things but try to keep the
53 basics as they are. Most people installing Gentoo for the first time,
54 should do a fairly basic install anyway. If they are a seasoned Linux
55 user, then they can follow links to the optional things like RAID and
56 adjust as needed.
57
58 I guess my point on the docs is this. Try to keep them simple but make
59 options available without cluttering up what we have for a basic install.
60
61 Hope that makes sense.
62
63 Dale