From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:02:58
> I think that discussion can be split into > 1) if a UTF-8 profile should be set as default, and > 2) what UTF-8 profile that would be
> Just to give some hints/ideas here: > For 1), for many people it's a waste, and
I'd like to debate that- even if you are a plain en_USamerican, you are bound to receive some text files eventually using a bit more characters. Maybe even in the filenames...
> it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so > should we really do that.
Well new standards are made to replace or enhance old ones.
> Also, how about this changing default for > existing systems.
That's not an issue if we just change the preset in install stages.
> Then, 2) is almost moot. If you would default to an UTF-8 profile, I > think the only sensical option is en_US.UTF-8 (not en_GB).
Right. -- Andreas K. Huettel Gentoo Linux developer kde, sci, arm, tex, printing