From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:02:58
1 > I think that discussion can be split into
2 > 1) if a UTF-8 profile should be set as default, and
3 > 2) what UTF-8 profile that would be
4
5 > Just to give some hints/ideas here:
6 > For 1), for many people it's a waste, and
7
8 I'd like to debate that- even if you are a plain en_USamerican, you are bound
9 to receive some text files eventually using a bit more characters. Maybe even
10 in the filenames...
11
12 > it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so
13 > should we really do that.
14
15 Well new standards are made to replace or enhance old ones.
16
17 > Also, how about this changing default for
18 > existing systems.
19
20 That's not an issue if we just change the preset in install stages.
21
22 > Then, 2) is almost moot. If you would default to an UTF-8 profile, I
23 > think the only sensical option is en_US.UTF-8 (not en_GB).
24
25 Right.
28 Andreas K. Huettel
29 Gentoo Linux developer