From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting: Tuesday 9 August, 1900 UTC
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 17:41:33
On 21:00 Wed 03 Aug     , Michał Górny wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:25:03 -0700 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote: > > > Items proposed but not on the agenda: > > > > * Optional runtime dependencies [5] > > - What is the decision to be made? If none, it's not on the agenda > > The decision is on how to proceed: > a) do not do anything at all (i.e. either mention deps in > pkg_postinst(), use plain USE or whatever devs like now), > b) introduce some kind of SDEPEND in a new EAPI [1], > c) re-use USE flags and allow declaring some of them as runtime-only > (so they won't require package rebuilds and just adjust @world > depgraph) [2 mostly, though not necessarily using USE_EXPAND].
The council approves specific proposals, ideally including implementations, that have been discussed by the broader Gentoo community. I don't see us as a group of people who should be exclusively discussing something like this during a meeting instead of with the rest of the community on the -dev mailing list. To me, this looks like something that would involve a GLEP.
> > If you have anything you'd like to push to the council for > > discussion, feel free to reply to this thread. > > I'd like the Council to put some point on the topic of changing eclass > APIs heavily with EAPI bumps [3].
From the point of view of why I ran for council, this fits under the idea of problems related to individual people or instances rather than broader patterns that need to get dealt with by council policy. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer Gentoo Linux Blog: