From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:44:33
1 On 05-08-2011 14:17:29 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > I am still not convinced that a committee of 7 people is flexible enough
3 > to push radical changes.
4
5 Perhaps I misunderstand you here, but I don't think making radical
6 changes is good, that's what 7 people balance out. Radical changes have
7 been made to important parts of Gentoo like e.g. Python, and this didn't
8 really result in a major improvement, IMO.
9
10 > Maybe they are but they need to spend enough
11 > time talking about things before meetings. Does everyone has the time to
12 > spend so many hours on mailing lists? See how many discussions end up to
13 > /dev/null or just forgotten after a while.
14
15 Being a council member means you have to deal with it. I don't think
16 you get the red button for free, you're supposed to do some good
17 homework for it.
18
19 When discussions die, probably this is because noone could come up with
20 a clear enough problem, and directed discussion to come to some
21 conclusions. Controversial topics of course always have proponents and
22 opponents, but just deciding to go left or right doesn't necessarily
23 help to improve the situation. It just makes some happy and others
24 angry.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level