From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 13:25:03
1 On 2020.12.12 12:07, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > > I have a major concern with the concept of the council
3 > > deciding to close any part of the forum. Its like this ...
4 > > At present, Gentoo is a common carrier, like the mail.
5 > > The content of letters and parcels is of little concern to the
6 > > carrier.
7 > >
8 > > Gentoos status could be changed by a council decision to
9 > > close any part of the forum from common carrier to publisher,
10 > > were the council seen to be exercising editorial control.
11 > > Being a publisher makes Gentoo liable for the published
12 > > content. Gentoo could not run the forums at all under those
13 > > conditions.
14 >
15 > This is misinformation at best, and deliberate confusion sowing at
16 > worst.
17 >
18 > I assume that you're talking about the US legal situation. [#]
21 <snip totally irrelevant material>
22
23 > [...]
24 > ====================
25 > https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230
26 >
27 > Cheers.
32 <snip references>
36 > --
37 > Andreas K. Hüttel
38 > dilfridge@g.o
39 > Gentoo Linux developer
40 > (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)
43 Rule 1 is never assume.
44 That makes the rest of your post irrelevant.
45
46 In the UK, which selfishly, is all that matters to me, if I compile
47 and edit a community newsletter, I'm the publisher, with all the liabilities
48 of a publisher. Like, say, the News of the World. I have editorial
49 control and am liable for the content.
50
51 When someone distributes that same newsletter by putting it
52 through the village letterboxes, they have no liability for the content.
53
54 In the same vein, is the council accidentality, through ignorance or
55 otherwise, in danger of making Gentoo a publisher, with all the
56 attached liability for content?
57
58 I don't know the answer either.
59
60 Oh, the News of the World folded after a lawsuit related to an
61 article it published.
64 Regards,
65
66 Roy Bamford