From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:18:04
1 On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:40:38 PM PST Matt Turner wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > - Disk usage for git vs rsync
7 > >
8 > > This is why I have not switched. With git you pull down increasing
9 > > amounts of history, whereas with rsync the data fits easily in a <1GB
10 > > partition.
11 >
12 > Recent portage can use sync-depth = 1
13 > repo dir no longer grows as it used to and it's works fine unlike initial
14 > implementation that was giving trouble
15 >
16 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/552814
17 >
18 > du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
19 > 350M /var/db/repos/gentoo
20 >
21 > example /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf :
22 > [DEFAULT]
23 > main-repo = gentoo
24 >
25 > [gentoo]
26 > auto-sync = yes
27 > location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
28 > sync-type = git
29 > sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
30 > sync-depth = 1
31 > sync-git-clone-extra-opts = -b master
32 > sync-git-verify-commit-signature = true
35 > sync is almost instantaneous compared to rsync, but some folks not going
37 > like github as a mirror in this case.
40 I don't plan on using github for the mirror, so I'm not overly worried
41 about that portion.
42
43 +Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
44
45 My recollection was that git doesn't ship with ebuild metadata by default,
46 so even if we make the first sync fast (by using depth=1 in the clone) do
47 we have a good story for ebuild metadata? Is portage just faster than in
48 the past for ebuilds with missing metadata? Does emerge --sync handle
49 metadata regen for syncs with git origins?
50
51 -A
56 > --
57 > Georgy Yakovlev