From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 02:51:11
1 On 17/06/18 03:43, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:34 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> My synopsis from the peanut gallery, is that everyone wants the power,
4 >> with none of the responsibility that conventionally comes with it.
5 > The responsibility to run a non-profit corporation is purely
6 > self-imposed. Plenty of FOSS projects manage to govern themselves
7 > without requiring the people making the final decisions to file tax
8 > returns.
9 >
10 That liability was inherited, not actively chosen by *any* of the devs
11 of the last decade, or so. To change it, still requires that situation
12 be resolved .. whatever path is chosen ..
13
14 In some ways, winding up Gentoo Foundation, Inc. and starting again with
15 a 501(c)3 would be a better way forward, but since I don't know the
16 ins-and-outs of US organisations, I'm gonna stay outta the why's and
17 wherefores.
18
19 Suffice to say, TL;DR we gotta deal with the situation(s) we find
20 ourselves in today, not bikeshed what we would have done differently, or
21 who we can blame .. as that achieves nothing, and is wasted effort that
22 could be better spent elsewhere. Like fixing the problem ..