From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o, trustees@g.o, cyber+gentoo@×××××.in
Subject: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 21:33:47
1 Hey all,
2
3 I just found out while I was on vacation about Github's copilot feature.
4
5 Basically, it appears to be a machine learning feature that trains
6 itself on all publically available code on github and provides
7 code suggestions to any public or private repository.
8
9 https://github.com/features/copilot
10
11 There appears to be a lot of controversy around it in foss groups, so I
12 thought it might be worth bringing up here. I added the council and
13 trustees because I thought it might be worth bringing to their attention
14 as well. In particular, I see concerns about gpl projects being on github
15 if they can't opt out of this.
16
17 Thoughts?
18