From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] OT Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:15:44
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 11:48:57 AM EST Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017, 17:14:51 CET schrieb William L. Thomson Jr.:
3 > > Keep in mind the US is founded on freedom of speech. An open source
4 > > project
5 > > could be argued along the same lines as freedom of speech and expression.
6 > > Not to mention an argument could be made for technical benefit of all,
7 > > etc.
8 >
9 > As someone routinely dealing (outside Gentoo) with technology that falls
10 > under US export control, I can assure you that freedom of speech has
11 > absolutely nothing to do with this topic.
12
13 Closed or open source software?
14
15 Most any restricted under export tends to be closed source. The US supreme
16 court has already ruled on this matter regarding open source.
17
18 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernstein_v._United_States
19
20 "After four years and one regulatory change, the Ninth Circuit Court of
21 Appeals ruled that software source code was speech protected by the First
22 Amendment and that the government's regulations preventing its publication
23 were unconstitutional."
24
25 https://epic.org/crypto/export_controls/bernstein_decision_9_cir.html
26
27 This was established in 1999. I love how non-US citizens like to tell US
28 citizens about US Laws. It is very rare that supreme court rulings are
29 overturned. To my knowledge this stands to this day. Any case brought to any
30 court would defer to that case for precedence.
31
32 Now specific to Andreas being a nuclear researcher it is possible being in a
33 sensitive field that there are further restrictions. Given the uses of nuclear
34 technology and potential harm even for power generation. It would make sense
35 for there to be restrictions. While Germany is an ally, there are export
36 restrictions there, etc. Though none of that would apply to open source
37 software, and you have the right to release source code, and it is protected
38 under free speech.
41 William L. Thomson Jr.