From: Peter Wilmott <p8952@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for resources to run 'repositories mirror & QA' project
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:03:50
1 On 04/17/15 10:12, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > I'd like to start a new Gentoo-related project and I'm looking for
5 > someone that would be interested in providing the hardware for it.
6
7 I have a dedicated server which I'm currently underutilizing. It's not
8 the best box but if no one else has anything to offer I'm more than
9 happy to let you use it.
10
11 Specs:
12 CPU : Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.66 GHz+
13 MEM : 16GB EEC
14 HDD : 2 x 2TB @ RAID 1
15
16 It has some scheduled tasks which max the CPU for a few hours at 00:00
17 UTC, but other than that it sits idle just serving tiny amounts of web
18 traffic.
19
20 > Eventually I'd like to try to off-load the mirroring somewhere
21 > (github?), so that's a minor concern. However, the cloning (even with
22 > --depth 1) is going to be network and disk space hungry, and egencache
23 > & pcheck will need a lot of CPU power.
24
25 Do you have some ballpark figures here?
26
27 For disk space you could probably use around 1TB, network traffic should
28 not be an issue (within reason) as I have unlimited usage @ 250Mbps.
29
30 > For a test, best try running pcheck on gentoo-x86 and see how long it
31 > takes. We'd be parallelizing it but more than, say, 40 minutes for
32 > the whole repository would be bad.
33
34 If you can give me an easy set of setup instructions I can verify the
35 time taken for you.
36
37 > Aside from that, I'd like SSH access to set it all up (I'm limited on
38 > time, so no game-fun proxy setup). I don't need root access if someone
39 > can install all the necessary dependencies for me. Gentoo is preferred
40 > but not necessary (I already have the setup needed to run pcheck
41 > outside Gentoo).
42 >
43 > Plus preferably 'systemd --user' instance or some fun cron.
44
45 Happy for you to have shell access. Not running systemd but I'm sure we
46 can work something else out :)
47
48 Kind regards,
49