From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] gitlab accessibility
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 19:46:56
1 On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 01:09:31PM +0500, Anna V. wrote:
2 > On 2022-07-15 09:09, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 16:21 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > Hey all,
5 > > >
6 > > > I was on vacation when the issues were brought up, but I want to start a
7 > > > new thread about this.
8 > > >
9 > > > I will quote the sections from the messages on the previous thread I am
10 > > > referring to.
11 > > >
12 > > > mgorny:
13 > > > > I would really prefer if someone worked on the GitLab accessibility
14 > > > > issues before someone tried to do that. Like, made GitLab something
15 > > > > more than a blank site on less-than-state-of-art web browsers.
16 > > >
17 > > > I don't know which browsers you are talking about. I personally use
18 > > > chrome and it isn't a blank page. I'm sure it probably works on firefox
19 > > > as well. I have briefly checked Edge and it is fine there.
20 > > > I think you need to be more specific about the browsers you are talking
21 > > > about. Also, if you are a web developer, you might want to open MR's for
22 > > > gitlab to get this fixed if you can.
23 > >
24 > > I'm talking of browsers without ECMAScript, particularly text browsers.
25 > > On GitHub, things obviously aren't perfect but I can at least find
26 > > a file in the repository and view its contents. On GitLab, the file
27 > > list is simply not there.
28 >
29 > You can always `git clone` the repo to view its files. But non-standard
30 > features (like "merge requests" and CI) indeed require using either:
31 >
32 > * a browser with bleeding edge JS support (because everyone uses latest
33 > Chrome and Firefox and polyfills/babel are for losers who don't use
34 > experimental features in production)
35
36 You can do a bit with merge requests and ci/cd using git push options.
37
38 https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/push_options.html
39
40 > * OR custom CLI utilies (btw, can you point me on some I can use? like
41 > dev-vcs/hub for GitHub -- I have no desire to interact with their heavy
42 > and slow[0] web application).
43
44 dev-vcs/python-gitlab is the one I maintain at the moment; there may be
45 others I don't know about.
46
47 William
50 > [0]: https://forgeperf.org/