From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 22:40:59
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 01:35:40 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 22:31:48 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:23:48 +0100
5 > > Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > On 14/02/15 23:13, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > > > That's how Git works.
8 > > >
9 > > > Consider contributors (Gentoo developers or not) that want to
10 > > > submit patches to a project. They should have access to the
11 > > > primary repository (git or not), and be able to contribute
12 > > > without being forced to use proprietary software. This is
13 > > > incredibly easy to facilitate, so I don't expect us to have a
14 > > > problem related to github and our social mission here.
15 > >
16 > > What if their ISP runs proprietary software to manage its network?
17 > > Will Gentoo accept patches by pigeon? (Obviously the postal service
18 > > can't be relied upon to not use proprietary software.)
19 >
20 > One should not confuse transparent data transmission mediator and
21 > active data management engine required to create, submit or
22 > apply changes.
23
24 What's the difference between connecting to a proprietary Git server
25 over an open network stack, and connecting to an open Git server over a
26 proprietary network stack?
29 Ciaran McCreesh