From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Anna <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Encourage donations to Gentoo developers
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:45:15
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 3:02 PM Maciej Barć <xgqt@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Rich!
4 >
5 > Thanks a lot for reminding the reason why the GF "payments" are a bad idea.
6 >
7 > Do you know what is GF's stance on funding "local" dev HW? I think
8 > people inside toolchain/chromium/firefox or other projects requiring a
9 > lot of computation power to run various compilation/test configurations
10 > could use HW provided/sponsored by the Foundation.
11
12 Again, for transparency, I am President of the Gentoo Foundation.
13
14 I think we have traditionally two options here:
15 - One is we buy hardware, it's owned by Gentoo (Foundation) and we
16 operate it as our asset. We typically do not deploy assets to people's
17 homes because there is risk (of that person going away) and because
18 the benefit of 'local' hardware are experienced by one person (the
19 person in that locality). So value-wise having a 'local' asset is very
20 similar to having a hosted asset.
21 - The second is we buy hardware and basically give it to someone.
22 This has a few other problems:
23 - Accounting paperwork for having that person as a vendor; the
24 developer should likely be treating that machine as income; paying
25 taxes on it, etc.
26 - Ethical considerations on allocation of Foundation resources
27 (fairness, basically.)
28
29 We have traditionally offered hosted resources, which we have done in
30 the past and continue to endeavour to do.
31 We also have the nitrokey program, where we purchase assets and ship
32 them directly to developers:
33 - This is an equal access program, everyone is eligible for 1
34 Foundation provided Nitrokey and we ensure we have enough funds to
35 cover the entire cost of that program.
36 - Accounting and logistics-wise, the items are so small and so costly
37 to run logistics for, we just choose not to do it (so developers who
38 leave do not ship their keys back to us.)
39 - It's probable that technically the developers who leave Gentoo
40 should record the value of the nitrokey as income, but in most
41 jurisdictions the cost is so small it doesn't matter anyway.
42
43 I don't believe we have enough money to buy everyone a local
44 development rig, and I'm not really sure that program really adds
45 significant value over a hosted solution, so I'd likely frame any
46 local development around that value-delivery conversation.
47
48 -A