From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 23:00:20
1 On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:09:41 AM EDT Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:53:46AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr.
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > > However, I do think that in the end other distros do take
7 >> measures to
8 >> > > deal with people who they feel cause trouble, even if it isn't
9 >> > > technical in nature. I suspect that many distros go as far as
10 >> booting
11 >> > > people.
12 >> >
13 >> > I do not think any has the history of such as does Gentoo. It
14 >> would be
15 >> > interesting to see or learn. I believe the others also do what
16 >> they can to
17 >> > mitigate and resolve issues amicably.
18 >>
19 >> Yes, other distributions do go as far to boot troublesome people,
20 >> both
21 >> technical and interpersonal, and it's been just as messy as Gentoo.
22 >
23 > First off I was never booted or kicked. I voluntarily resigned as a
24 > developer,
25 > about a week after resigning as a Trustee.
26 >
27 > Take that on the surface for a moment, an active Trustee was
28 > motivated to
29 > resign. Then about a week later, motivated to resign as a developer.
30 > Neither a
31 > are good thing, losing an active Trustee or Developer.
32 >
33 > Regardless of other distros booting people and even their policies.
34 > All remain
35 > more mainstream than Gentoo. Gentoo has fallen from its position, and
36 > is not a
37 > rising distro. Policies and booting people aside, the others remained
38 > to keep
39 > more involved, the project moving forward and technically progressing.
40 >
41 > The fact that aspects of Gentoo Java were not moved forward since
42 > 2008. In
43 > addition to goals with the Gentoo Foundation and IRS. Just proves my
44 > point.
45 >
46 > As a whole it is and was not good for Gentoo. If this was the case
47 > with
48 > others. It can explain at least in part why Gentoo seems to be
49 > falling rather
50 > than rising. Some regardless of how or what goes on does not seem to
51 > be the
52 > case with others.
53
54 I will both agree and disagree with you.
55
56 I am a determined wanna-be developer that has been waylaid incessantly
57 by RL drama on my own side and bureaucratic headaches on Gentoo's side
58 in my quest to be recruited, and still, I haven't given up.
59
60 I also saw some recent drama with comrel, so I can sympathize.
61
62 My input: Moan and lament constructively and critically all you like,
63 but don't forget that you need to do the best you can and direct your
64 passion towards the change you want to see. there are some things you
65 cannot do becuase someone else is sitting on them, and some things you
66 *can* do.
67
68 Furthermore, being proactive about what you can control may well expand
69 your own influence. I cite both Steven R. Covey's "7 habits of highly
70 effective people", as well as my own mentors who counseled me that
71 becoming a dev is partly proving that I have the passion to do the work.
72
73 Join me.
74
75 > --