From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 12:35:51
1 On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 10:36:41AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > No argument, but if you actually asked stable users I'm not convinced
4 > that they'd prefer less-tested recent packages over well-tested older
5 > ones. Anything to get things fresher is good, but there probably
6 > needs to be some kind of sanity check.
7 My two cents on the subject. Perhaps I am odd in this but in spite of
8 having been messing with ebuild development I keep my Gentoo systems
9 mostly stable - and I definitely prefer keeping it this way. This might
10 perhaps have something to do with the fact I do not really need the
11 latest and supposedly greatest versions of all packages, for instance
12 the amd64 box I am writing this on has only got 15 entries (plus
13 dependencies of those) in my "version bump" Portage keyword files.
14
15 That said, the situation gets much worse for packages which can be found
16 *only* in ~arch - on the same box the "not in stable" keyword file
17 contains 72 entries. Only a few of these have been orphaned so I guess I
18 could always submit a lot of STABLEREQs but telling the truth, the
19 number has really discouraged me.
20
21 Bottom line: I would say we do need some way of streamlining ebuild
22 stabilisation.
23
24 Cheers,
25 --