From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Making Gentoo more fun
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:07:57
1 On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've also wondered if a more overlay-driven process might be
4 > beneficial, and certainly others like hasufel have been proponents of
5 > this mode. I can think of some pros and cons:
8 I will address some of these concerns as best I can.
9
10 First, if chromium isn't shipping a stable upstream release, then the
11 chromium or "browser-kit" kit can select a version that has undergone some
12 testing and is known to be reliable, and make sure this ends up in the
13 "prime" kit. The latest dev releases can be added to the "dev" kit of
14 'browser-kit'.
15
16 In Funtoo, right now (since the 1.2 kits are not quite released,) we only
17 have a core-kit that is 1.0-prime. There is no other choice. But for xorg,
18 we have 1.17-prime and then developed 1.19-prime. We continue to backport
19 security fixes into 1.17-prime, but some time ago I flipped the switch to
20 make 1.19-prime the default kit. Funtoo users who did not hard-code the
21 xorg-kit to be 1.17-prime got updated to 1.19, as our ego sync tool
22 switched their default kit over to 1.19-prime. Likewise, we have python-kit
23 3.4-prime and 3.6-prime. And fully support users switching between the two
24 in a seamless fashion. The kits are kept in lock-step as they are generated
25 by a single script, at a single time and our "ego sync" tool ensures that
26 all kits are "aligned" -- this means that you can't use a python-kit
27 3.6-prime generated yesterday with a core-kit generated 30 days ago. This
28 ensures that a catpkg will only exist in one kit at a time, if we happen to
29 move a catpkg, and avoids chaos if the kits are not aligned. (This is easy
30 to implement -- I simply record all the SHA1's for the kits that are
31 generated together, and store these SHA1's in meta-repo -- our 'master kit'
32 that drives the whole process. You can switch kits, but you are locked to
33 the SHA1 that you can choose for each kit.)
34
35 You can see the metadata I have to drive the kits here:
36
37 https://github.com/funtoo/meta-repo/blob/master/metadata/kit-info.json
38 https://github.com/funtoo/meta-repo/blob/master/metadata/kit-sha1.json
39
40 I think this could be quite an exciting collaboration between Funtoo and
41 Gentoo. I know that there has been some interest in getting the
42 multi-profile system into Gentoo as well.
43
44 And yes, this effort started as finding the best way to take the Gentoo
45 tree and adapting it to our needs and ideal workflow. The upstream work in
46 Gentoo, in the past, has been both a blessing and a curse, because we would
47 suck in changes that would break things in our tree, thus making
48 angry_vincent, well, angry. But our new system provides the buffer we need.
49 No reason why Gentoo couldn't also use this system to provide a buffer.
50
51 Best,
52
53 Daniel