From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 00:00:24
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:23:56 -0800
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:58:08 -0800
8 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:18 PM Sarah White
11 > > > <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
12 > > > >
13 > > > >
14 > > > > multiline (standard form) copyright attribution doesn't have
15 > > > > anything to do with licensing, and only serves to strengthen
16 > > > > copyleft due to the presence of additional copyright notices
17 > > > > which clearly lay out a list of entities / people with a stake
18 > > > > in protecting the interests of an opensource project remaining
19 > > > > FOSS/Libre.
20 > > >
21 > > > First, git already does this.
22 > >
23 > > It does not, it lists authors, not copyright holders which are not
24 > > the same thing.
25 >
26 > Nothing prevents us from adding copyright info to commit messages, and
27 > companies that feel strongly about documenting their copyright over
28 > their contributions would probably be best off doing it in git where
29 > it is less likely to get lost/deleted/etc over time. It would also be
30 > out of the way for those not looking for this info.
31
32 I don't object to adding the copyright notice to the commit message
33 rather than the ebuild, the only caveat is that the copyright should be
34 propigated to the rsync tree as well (since most users use rsync rather
35 than git). Perhaps the "fattening" step could do it, even just a
36 top-level file listing packages and copyright owners, should not be
37 overly hard to generate, maybe with a post-push hook that updates it
38 when a copyright tag is detected in the push.
39
40 > > > Second, please cite an example of a copyright lawsuit that was won
41 > > > because multiple notices were listed, or a law that provides
42 > > > protection if multiple notices are provided. Your claim that
43 > > > doing this "strengthen[s] copyleft" is baseless as far as I can
44 > > > tell.
45 > >
46 > > I don't think it's about citing cases, the GPL has never gotten to
47 > > trial AFAIK, so under that metric, the GPL is useless.
48 >
49 > I suggested that you could cite laws as well. GPL is well-grounded in
50 > copyright law (the law says basically that users of software have no
51 > rights to copy it, and then GPL grants a few extra rights). The law
52 > takes away, and the GPL gives the user more freedom than they would
53 > have otherwise under the law.
54 >
55 > Laundry lists of copyright notices have no particular basis in law, in
56 > particular because copyright law is already incredibly strong without
57 > it. A notice that names any copyright holder defeats an innocent
58 > infringement defense (which is already a pretty weak defense to begin
59 > with). Adding more names to the copyright line doesn't do anything
60 > else.
61
62 IANAL nor do I pretend to be one. A lawyer did instruct me to add the
63 copyright notices to ebuilds that I work on during work hours.
64
65 > In any case, the claim was made that this "strengthens copyright" and
66 > it is up to those making a claim to back it up with some kind of law
67 > (statutory or case law), not just argue that more text must be better.
68
69 AFAIK no one on this list/thread is a lawyer, so much if this is not
70 particularly valuable. Personally, I don't see why there is a strong
71 objection to a practice that is quite common in open source code.