From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] PMS
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:31:08
1 On 2007.12.15 06:46, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Just a quick post re something that was raised in the council
3 > meeting.
6 Steve,
7
8 The offical package manager is portage. If another package manager does
9 something different to portage - even if it fixes a bug in portage, by
10 definition, its not compliant.
11
12 The exisiting PMS have been arrived at by documenting what portage
13 does, which is itself a moving target.
14 No PMS is likely to be endorsed until Portage stays still long enough
15 to document it, check it and ratifiy it, unless some arbitary portage
16 version is chosen to document.
17
18 Any such PMS won't be very useful, as portage will have moved on
19 meanwhile. A PMS will only be useful when its adopted and maintained by
20 the portage devs, when portage will become a reference inplementaion of
21 the spec. I don't see that happening, since they don't need such a
22 document.
23
24 It reminds me of AMD, Cyrix and others trying to produce a x86 CPU
25 clone. Most got close but not close enough as they failed to reproduce
26 the bugs in the silicon that were in some cases needed for normal
27 operation. AMD persisted and got a reasonable market share. Intel
28 didn't make it easy, releasing new CPUs from time to time.
29
30 At least developers wanting a PMS can read the portage source code to
31 see what it does.
32
33 Regards,
34