From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:30:36
1 On 01/06/2017 01:44 AM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 >
3 > On 01/05/2017 02:58 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >> With increasing focus on security in various contexts I'd like to
5 >> propose that we start discussing catching up with other distributions
6 >> and start requiring new developers' OpenPGP keyblocks to have at least
7 >> two signatures from existing developers before applications can be
8 >> made[A]. Amongst other things This helps building the Gentoo Web of Trust.
11 >> E.g [Debian] has the following requirement: "To maintain the strong Web
12 >> of Trust that connects all Debian Developers, Applicants need to
13 >> identify themselves by providing an OpenPGP key that is signed by at
14 >> least two official Developers. To further ensure their identity,
15 >> signatures by other people (who do not need to be DDs, but should be
16 >> well connected in the overall Web of Trust) are strongly recommended."
19 >> References:
20 >>
21 >> [Debian] https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist
24 >> Endnotes:
25 >>
26 >> [A] Possibly with an opt-out by application to council, in case there
27 >> are certain regions where this is considered non-feasable etc.
30 > Thanks for the proposal, Kristian. Overall, I think we do need some more
31 > detail (for the masses) and possibly a GLEP drafted with those specifics.
32 >
33 > Debian's model [1] seems very flexible and retains the ability for
34 > developers to be exempted from the process due to extenuating
35 > circumstances. There are no intentions of "locking" any one out because
36 > of financial or geographical restraints.
37 >
38 > The concerns about fakes and other avenues of deception are well
39 > founded, but as of now Gentoo is wide open anyway. This model will allow
40 > us to begin a long process of building the WoT which can only get better
41 > if recruitment goes up. It really only makes things *better*.
42 >
43 > Maybe it will encourage more social interaction as well. I have
44 > conferenced with other developers via audio and maybe soon video. Not
45 > only does it bring an aspect of personal interaction... it also brings a
46 > new level of understanding instead of the textual medium we are all so
47 > used to.
48 >
49 > The ultimate goal here is to build the WoT, as you mentioned, and bring
50 > more validity to our tree etc. I would be willing to help draft the GLEP
51 > and ensure we meet such intent.
52 >
53 > -Aaron
54 >
55 > [1]: https://www.debian.org/events/keysigning
58 I'd be willing to help on drafting as well. Keysigning is something I've
59 been wanting to get into, and helping Gentoo makes it even better. I
60 could look into LUGs near me and see if they'd be receptive to an event
61 like that, if only to raise awareness for both PGP and Gentoo.
64 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
65 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
66 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6