From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Support for Seperate /usr
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:40:51
1 Am Donnerstag, 1. August 2013, 23:16:26 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 >
3 > I do favor the dropping of support for separate /usr without an early
4 > boot workaround. I just don't think the council should actually step
5 > in until somebody needs us to, or as part of some larger plan. If the
6 > base-system maintainers have things under control, better to let them
7 > handle it.
10 1) I have some doubts that this is really "under control". Maybe someone from
11 base-system should comment how well booting with separate usr AND without
12 early boot mechanism works. (That's also where Diego's blog posts come in.)
13
14 2) The main difficulty is that last council decided "something" and everyone
15 has a different opinion on what was actually decided.
16
17 3) If things are not "under control", no council decision will magically fix
18 that.
19
20 4) We should also remind ourselves that the general Gentoo philosophy used to
21 be "follow upstream as much as possible". Given the general direction in Linux
22 outside Gentoo, more and more software may migrate into /usr. Do we want to
23 step up patching?
27 Andreas K. Huettel
28 Gentoo Linux developer
29 dilfridge@g.o