From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:06:50
1 On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 > To all the others that are upset because everyone is already nominated, I'd
4 > like to recall everyone if free to nominate. It is custom practice to have
5 > developers nominated more than once. Before anyone asks, that is also valid
6 > under the current rules.
7
8 So, I brought it up because issues like this are better addressed
9 before there are misunderstandings than after.
10
11 Still, traditionally in the past we've had tables of nominees, whether
12 they accepted, links to manifestos, etc. That doesn't work quite as
13 elegantly when everybody is nominated.
14
15 Also, a bulk nomination like this may discourage others from
16 re-nominating the same individual. Nominations are as much about
17 encouraging people to seriously run for office and not just a process.
18 Otherwise we'd just nominate ourselves. I don't want somebody who
19 might not have seriously considered running for council to not
20 consider doing so because somebody didn't think to nominate them
21 because technically it was already done.
22
23 But, this isn't a big deal either way. I won't make any assumptions
24 as to what the full intent of nominating almost everybody was. Wulf
25 can say whatever he cares to if he cares to.
26
27 So, just about everybody is nominated now, but don't let that
28 discourage anybody from re-nominating others or running if they think
29 there is some good they can do.
30
31 Rich