From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] New project: GURU [Gentoo User Repository, Unreviewed]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 13:54:47
On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:48 +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 14:28:28 +0100 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote: > > > On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 11:58 +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote: > > > On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:28:49 +0100 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote: > > > > > > > --- > > > > What do you think? > > > > > > > > > > What is the difference with sunrise ? > > > > The difference, as noted in the mail, is that it doesn't rely > > on developers having time to review ebuilds. Therefore, it is less > > likely to die because of developers lacking time to review stuff. > > > Then I fear you will see the same pitfalls, and it already started: I > recall sunrise haters being very strongly against the idea because, > TBH, our sandboxing mechanism isn't a real sandbox. It may have > improved, but I doubt it's up to the point that we can safely run > untrusted code there.
Sandboxing has nothing to do with security, and trying to 'improve' its security is a waste of time. What's the point of preventing ebuilds from doing malicious things at build time if they can install files that do malicious things afterwards?
I was correcting your mistakes about Sunrise, not describing GURU. -- Best regards, Michał Górny