From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Status update of Sunrise project?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:59:29
1 On 04/11/2015 01:54 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > 1. What does proxy-maintainers lack in comparison to sunrise
4 > exclusively. The immediate question is whether sunrise should be
5 > migrated to proxy-maintainers, so this specific comparison is
6 > important.
9 proxy-maintainers lack:
10 1. a repository with a usable VCS
11 2. an actual review workflow... @proxy-maintainers are just some sort of
12 backup committers. it's not a hub for contributors to gather, discuss,
13 get reviews and improve skills
14 3. means to ensure the tree doesn't break
15 4. actively look for and educate potential developers, even before the
16 recruitment process
17
18 So it should, if at all, be the other way around: dissolve
19 proxy-maintainers, fix the sunrise workflow and make it the contribution
20 hub again it once was. But I'm not actually advocating for that. I think
21 the sunrise concept doesn't work anymore.
22
23 What we need is a said hub, but not under the dominance of one
24 project/repository. It should rather be a meeting point for various
25 high-quality overlay developers. One problem with sunrise often was: no
26 one really knew about e.g. java ebuilds, so we ended up telling people
27 with those ebuilds to get a review elsewhere.
28 That said, it makes more sense to directly contribute haskell ebuilds to
29 the haskell overlay where people have the knowledge about these things
30 instead of dumping everything in one "user" repository.
31 But in order to know where to go, there should be some sort of central
32 meeting point.
33
34 > 2. What does proxy-maintainers lack in comparison to overlays in
35 > general, beyond QA standards? (By QA standards I'm more concerned
36 > with our QA goals such as not having security-vulnerable packages in
37 > the tree, having consistent depgraphs, having PMS-compliant ebuilds,
38 > etc. I'd rather not discuss changes to these, unless there really is
39 > something most of us don't think is necessary. How we go about
40 > achieving those goals is fair game. ie, one "benefit" of overlays is
41 > that you can commit an ebuild that contains only line noise, and I'm
42 > not so interested in that. However, maybe another benefit of overlays
43 > is that you can go about quality in a different way that makes it
44 > easier, ultimately reaching a level of quality comparable to the
45 > gentoo repository.)
48 Pretty much the same as already said above. I'd also like to note that
49 the gentoo tree isn't really the nonplusultra in terms of ebuild
50 quality, because a lot of people commit stuff without really knowing
51 what they are doing. So, dedicated overlays sometimes have higher
52 quality. There's just no patrick or diego running global checks. But
53 that problem has been solved by exherbo for years now, with far less
54 manpower. I'll cut the infra-rant. Maybe mgorny will get us there.
55 Pretty much the only one left who's actively trying to improve things.
56 And that is both sad and dangerous.