From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 13:55:42
1 >>>>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >> Stable Portage supports EAPI 6 since 2016-01-17, i.e. since 26
4 >> months. So we would be somewhat on the early side.
5
6 > Not that it's less than the supported upgrade path.
7
8 Yes, I don't think that we have a problem there. Just noting that's
9 it would be sooner than for all previous EAPIs.
10
11 >> What worries me more is that deprecation of EAPI 5 would apply to
12 >> profiles too. However, all profiles are still at EAPI 5 at this
13 >> point, and I don't see any value in upgrading them to EAPI 6.
14
15 > That's a fair argument. However:
16
17 > 1. Does deprecation really mean anything in terms of profiles? Even
18 > in the context of EAPI bans we explicitly stated that it affects new
19 > packages and EAPI bumps. I think deprecating it for ebuilds is still
20 > meaningful even if profiles would stay EAPI 5.
21
22 OK, but then we should clearly state this.
23
24 > 2. Do we want to keep profiles EAPI 5 indefinitely? If we consider
25 > it a goal to reduce the number of EAPIs in use, I think it would be
26 > reasonable to bump profiles to EAPI 6 proactively, even if it
27 > doesn't change anything.
28
29 The only effect this has is that it can impede some users' upgrade
30 path. Or is there any feature in EAPI 6 that is needed in profiles?
31
32 Another way to keep the number of EAPIs limited would be to skip
33 EAPI 6 for profiles. We have done that for EAPIs 3 and 4 previously
34 (i.e., all previous and current profiles were EAPI 0, 1, 2, or 5).
35
36 Ulrich