From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>, overlays@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: a few new rules for repositories in repositories.xml
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 01:17:23
1 On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2015-05-16, o godz. 04:31:14
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > 4. Repositories need to conform to at least basic rules enforced by the PMS or the common subset of features supported by Portage, pkgcore and Paludis.
7 >> >
8 >> > Rationale: we don't want things to blow up hard in users' faces when they happen to add some repository. Alternatively, we need to mark non-PMS repositories as such.
9 >>
10 >> I think PMS conformance needs to be optional here.
11 >>
12 >> There are some very prominent overlays in repositories.xml which
13 >> already do not conform to PMS. The kde overlay comes to mind.
14 >>
15 >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/kde.git/tree/metadata/layout.conf#n29
16 >
17 > Then we need a proper marking to mark the repositories for users of
18 > other PMs appropriately.
21 Seems like a simple solution would be to tag every repository with a
22 list of all the EAPIs it utilizes. Repositories could use non-PMS
23 EAPIs, but should declare them. The general principles of PMS should
24 apply to everything (ie don't put EAPI=5 in your ebuild and then do
25 something undefined in EAPI5 - if you're going to make up your own
26 EAPI give it a unique name).
27
28 We could also use a special keyword of some kind that denotes that the
29 repository complies with gentoo repository QA, whatever that happens
30 to mean at the moment.
33 Rich