From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 23:45:22
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018, 16:14:48 CEST schrieb Alec Warner:
5 >
6 > > They seem to offer docker packages, so we could just nab those and run
7 > them
8 > > in containers on hosts. I'm not too keen on doing a bunch of (really
9 > what I
10 > > consider busywork) to try to 'get it working on Gentoo.' We already use
11 > > upstream provided containers and I expect that to continue as upstreams
12 > > continue to abandon the 'release packages' model and move to 'release
13 > sets
14 > > of containers' model.
15 > >
16 > > -A
17 >
18 > Apart from all the implications that have already been brought up, that's
19 >
20 > 1) a public relations nightmare waiting to happen
21 > (future discussion: "Err, wait, central Gentoo infrastructure runs on an
22 > Ubuntu-based container? Well, then we switch directly to Ubuntu.")
25 Its unclear what the upstream containers might be based on. CoreOS or
26 Alpine Linux are both common bases (and CoreOS is ironically a
27 Gentoo-powered[1] distro using our tree and tools.) I'm not sure people
28 would switch because of that.
31 > 2) not particularly nice to our users, who probably want to experiment
32 > with
33 > gitlab too.
34 > (Hey, for years www-apps/bugzilla was maintainer-needed while Gentoo Infra
35 > was
36 > running a well-maintained instance. I was always wondering what happened
37 > there...)
40 Users who want to experiment with gitlab can install docker and docker pull
41 the images, same as infra.
42 If users want to do things with ebuilds they can follow the wiki:
43 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GitLab
44
45 I'm not yet quite convinced that Infra should be forced to do the latter,
46 provided the former does not violate the social contract (and that is
47 perhaps a healthy debate one could have.)
50 > So I'd suggest we either are convinced that our packaging actually makes
51 > sense, and use it, or we close shop.
54 I'm not convinced its worthwhile to package gitlab when upstream already
55 packaged it for us, which is why you don't see me spending time on such
56 things.
57
58 [0] https://github.com/coreos/coreos-overlay
61 > --
62 > Andreas K. Hüttel
63 > dilfridge@g.o
64 > Gentoo Linux developer
65 > (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)