From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 18:58:54
1 On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 1:57 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The usual deal with summaries
4
5 Yes, summaries aren't fun, but they're not exactly hard either. The
6 chair should just take notes during the meeting if at all possible.
7 Just copy/paste the agenda into a text editor, copy/paste decisions as
8 they are made, and copy/paste the votes. It takes all of about 15
9 minutes of editing after the fact to get it cleaned up. Usually the
10 pace of IRC decisions is such that you can get 90% of it done during
11 the meeting...
12
13 > Abusing Council position to change own team's policy
14 > ====================================================
15 > How would you feel about a person that's both in QA and Council using
16 > his Council position to change a policy that's been proposed with QA
17 > lead's blessing?
18
19 As I've said before, I have no issues with this and if anything
20 consider it a feature, and not a bug.
21
22 If the entire project could be run in its entirety by 7 people without
23 sacrifice, we'd be that much better off for the streamlined
24 decision-making. In reality as you've pointed out the Council members
25 often don't have enough time to even run the Council, so others need
26 to be involved in other rules, which leads to conflicts. It makes far
27 more sense to make sure that QA/Council are aligned before QA creates
28 policy than to have the one body set policy and the other body reverse
29 it (whether directly, or via appeals of individual decisions).
30
31 This is just speaking generally, and not about any particular decision
32 or whether it was correct...
33
34 Devs can of course decide to vote for who they wish for council.
35
36 > The way I see it, proposals should be discussed on mailing lists,
37 > and Council approval should be merely a formality based on earlier
38 > discussion. However, with the current Council you are required to
39 > attend meetings and personally convince Council members to whatever
40 > seemed like wholly agreed thing beforehand, or promptly answer feedback
41 > that should have been made to the mailing lists beforehand.
42
43 So, I don't think Council should consider itself bound to any kind of
44 general consensus. If every developer except the 7 council members
45 felt one way, and the council members felt the other, and they felt
46 the matter was important enough, I wouldn't have a problem with them
47 unilaterally making a contrary decision. This is why you should
48 exercise care when voting for Council members. Of course, most
49 Council members tend to be at least fairly reasonable (which is why
50 they get elected), so this sort of outcome is pretty unlikely.
51
52 That said, I also believe that all Council members ought to share
53 their opinions on a proposal BEFORE the meeting to invite commentary.
54 By all means feel free to disagree with those comments, but at least
55 do people the courtesy of giving them a chance to express them. Doing
56 so before the meeting is both more convenient and gives everybody a
57 chance to think about their arguments vs walking into a meeting and
58 firing from the hip. This encourages people to back up their opinions
59 with data where possible, or at least the best arguments they can put
60 forth, and is likely to benefit the final decisions made.
61
62 > I think
63 > it's really time to make a change, and show that Council elections are
64 > not a popularity contest.
67 Make no mistake - all elections are popularity contests. :)
68
69 Other than the one point above I certainly agree with everything you
70 brought up. I'm not sure if I'd go so far to say that incumbents are
71 a bad thing, but I'd urge them to take these concerns seriously.
72 While I don't have the volume of GLEP proposals that mgorny has, I
73 also found it very frustrating to have no idea what most of the
74 Council thought about my proposed GLEP change. I know a few devs were
75 frustrated that I kept promoting it despite what they considered
76 near-universal opposition, but the fact is that the majority of those
77 who would actually vote on it voiced no concerns until the meeting.
78 If I knew a majority were unlikely to accept it in any form I'd have
79 just dropped it early and not wasted everybody's time.
80
81 Even after my proposal was defeated a few suggested that it might be
82 accepted with alterations, but could offer no specifics about what
83 alterations might or might not be acceptable. It is silly to just
84 throw one draft at another to see if they get voted up and down and
85 try to guess what everybody is thinking, so I dropped it and somewhat
86 regret wasting everybody's time (even if I still think my proposal
87 would have been an improvement).
88
89 I think this sort of thing does discourage people from trying to
90 propose improvements or changes. By all means disagree with a
91 proposal or change - I can completely respect that. But, at least be
92 up-front about it so everybody isn't guessing, and we don't waste
93 month after month iterating. We slow decisions down enough already
94 waiting until meetings to make them, so it is pretty discouraging to
95 see these decisions get deferred even further. If somebody fails to
96 react to comments on their proposal before the meeting that is on
97 them, but failing to make the comments at all is on the one witholding
98 their approval...
101 Rich