From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2019-12-08 19:00 UTC - Agenda topics?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 10:08:06
1 On Mon, 2019-12-02 at 10:44 +0100, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 10:10:55 +0100 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 2019-11-27 at 00:26 +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 > > > The next council meeting will be on Sunday 2019-12-08, 19:00 UTC in
6 > > > the #gentoo-council channel on Freenode. Please reply to this mail
7 > > > with desired agenda topics.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > I'd like to pass a big question™ towards the Council since there seems
11 > > to be some disagreement on the direction Gentoo should take:
12 > >
13 > > ===
14 > > Should Gentoo developers be expected to be able to find a way to work
15 > > together to build a somewhat consistent distribution, or should it be
16 > > allowed for individual developers to 'run their own shops' and ignore
17 > > everybody else?
18 > > ===
19 > >
20 > > To explain what I mean with an extreme example: in the past we had
21 > > a developer who blocked adding systemd units to his own packages
22 > > because of his own personal agenda against systemd. This was
23 > > obviously harmful to systemd users who couldn't install use those
24 > > packages normally, and was harmful to consistent user experience
25 > > across Gentoo.
26 >
27 > Perhaps you even mean my past actions here because that was exactly
28 > what I did with my packages. The reason is not because I want to
29 > actively sabotage systemd in Gentoo but because I cannot test the
30 > unit files as I do not use/have a Gentoo installation with systemd
31 > available. What I did was to assign such request bugs to our systemd
32 > team and gave them permission to add these systemd units to my packages.
35 No, that's fine and understandable. It's one thing to ask somebody else
36 to take care of setup he needs. It's another to actively block it 'over
37 my dead commit access'.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny