From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:39:56
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> If somebody isn't an active contributor, then why let them vote?
6 >
7 > I have to say that I am very shocked by your response. Do you really believe
8 > that users should have no voice?
11 We're not talking about giving them voices - they already have that.
12 We're talking about giving them votes.
13
14 There is a reason that no organization I'm aware of (FOSS or
15 otherwise) operates the way you suggest: it decouples cost from
16 direction.
17
18 I want all our users to be happy. I want every single one of them to
19 get the distro they want to have. I want our users to have a distro
20 with no directories with "systemd" in the name. I want our users to
21 have a distro where every application is well-integrated with systemd.
22 I want our users to not be exposed to packages that may break. I want
23 our users to always have the latest cutting-edge software. I want our
24 community to never force anybody to leave. If somebody is harassing
25 somebody I want the offender gone the next day. I want all our taxes
26 to be filed on time, and I don't want anybody who doesn't genuinely
27 enjoy tax returns to have to think about our taxes.
28
29 The fact is that there will ALWAYS be people who are dissatisfied with
30 something you produce. They will point out that you could have done
31 things a little differently, and made them happier. If you produce
32 something that is free and worth a million dollars, somebody will
33 point out that it could have been worth a dollar more. Some of these
34 people will be vocal in their complaints. That is just human nature.
35
36 For the most part Gentoo gives volunteers the ability to work on the
37 things they're interested in. If somebody hates systemd nobody forces
38 them to create systemd units. If they love systemd they can go adding
39 units to every package they see. Users can then make choices from
40 among the ones we provide. We don't always generate the choices that
41 people want, but we also try to accept whatever contributions people
42 want to make.
43
44 When a user becomes a more dedicated volunteer we give them a vote in
45 the governance of the project. This is a commitment that goes two
46 ways. The volunteer has demonstrated that they have a larger stake in
47 the community, and a willingness to abide by its basic principles (the
48 social contract and code of conduct - neither of which are
49 particularly onerous IMO). They understand the costs of asking for
50 "free stuff."
51
52 Free is not without cost, and that is true of both beer and freedom.
53 Every time a user is given a feature, somebody put effort into making
54 that available. Every time a user is given a choice, somebody put
55 effort into making both the flexibility available, and each of the
56 offered options.
57
58 Some try to cast this as "developers" vs "users" - but for the most
59 part we use "developer" as an honorific, not as some kind of
60 delineation of skill. One need not be a programmer to be a Gentoo
61 developer, and I don't think that everybody gets that. Rather, I
62 think that the distinction is in "users" and "users who significantly
63 contribute back." There will ALWAYS be more of the former, and I
64 don't think that any of us begrudge them for that. The latter have
65 something the former lack: stake and reputation. They've invested
66 sweat and tears, much as you (Daniel) have. Gentoo isn't just a
67 plaything to them. Their name and email address isn't just something
68 that passed the duplicate ID check on gmail.
69
70 We all use a ton of FOSS, and we all tend to pick and choose which
71 projects we give back to for a million practical reasons. I get all
72 the benefits of openssl, but because I don't contribute significantly
73 to openssl I don't really get a vote in how it is developed. I
74 occasionally use other distros, and I get all their benefits, but
75 likewise I don't get a vote in how those distros operate. I
76 contribute back more to Gentoo, and as a result I get a vote (IMO that
77 vote is significantly less influential than simply talking to other
78 contributors whether on this list or elsewhere, because the reality is
79 that most of our contributors are fairly open-minded and interested in
80 collaborating).
81
82 Now, I'll certainly agree that we have significant contributors who
83 don't have the "developer" badge and I'm all for getting them over
84 that hump, and giving them a vote. That doesn't necessitate creating
85 a new class of community members. However, with that vote must also
86 come responsibility to the social contract and code of conduct,
87 because we all have to live with each other.
88
89 Apologies for this rather long post to your very short email, but I
90 thought it was necessary. Your idea is a simple one and simple ideas
91 have an elegance to them. However, Mencken rightly pointed out,
92 "Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a
93 well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and
94 wrong."
95
96 If there is some other organization that has successfully applied what
97 you're proposing for Gentoo I'm certainly interested in hearing about
98 it. And don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to dismiss Gentoo's
99 problems here. I just don't think this is the way out.
102 Rich