From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:32:56
1 On 01/05/2017 02:17 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:14:03 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 16:02:57 -0600
4 >>
5 >> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> On 01/05/2017 03:56 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>> As far as I understand, this would effectively require every developer
8 >>>> to be a member of the Foundation. I think that Foundation membership is
9 >>>> more legally binding than 'being a developer = having commit access'.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> One thing I'm particular worried about is the potential of 'US
12 >>>> embargo'. What if a particular developer/recruit is/will not be legally
13 >>>> allowed to be a member of Gentoo Foundation?
14 >>>
15 >>> I think that this brings us more in line with the legal realities of
16 >>> running a distro like this. We may want to be separate but don't think
17 >>> that's actually the case. So we should stop pretending we are separate.
18 >>
19 >> The reality is as people/committees perceive it. I can imagine quite
20 >> a distinction between 'working on an international project' and 'being
21 >> enlisted member of US organization'.
22 >
23 > Liability wise, working on the project makes you and the project more liable
24 > than being a member. Foundation members do not really bring any liability.
25 > Developers actions can cause liability. Liability comes from Developers not
26 > foundation members.
27 >
28 > I am not sure foundation members could ever be liable for anything.
31 One thing I could thing of that Foundation members (or the voting
32 electorate in general) could be held accountable for are the results of
33 their votes, i.e. they vote X or Y person in, they screw things up. In
34 that situation, imo the voters are as culpable as the one who screws
35 things up.
36
37 That said, I struggle to think of a screw-up large enough to start
38 blaming voters with. *shrug* But I do think that to have a healthy
39 Foundation, we need each member to feel a sense of responsibility or
40 even honor, and do their best to benefit the foundation within reason.
43 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
44 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
45 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6