From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:00:01
1 hasufell schrieb:
2
3 > I don't see the problem. BSD, MIT, Apache-2.0 are all GPL-Compatible and
4 > not even a pure GNU system bans them.
5
6 This is not a problem technology wise, but it means that ACCEPT_LICENSE
7 changes cannot ensure that we deliver only free software. Sourceless binaries
8 are by definition not free, even if their license is free.
9
10 Now we could add more pseudo-licenses to ACCEPT_LICENSE to distinguish source
11 code under BSD license from binaries under BSD license, or use some other
12 ebuild variable. This is what ulm suggests if I understand correctly.
13
14 Note that this can also extend to fonts, artwork, firmware, etc. which does
15 not come in the preferred form for modification (this what is Debian does).
18 Best regards,
19 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn