From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 17:54:19
1 On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 11:37 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022, Marek Szuba wrote:
4 >
5 > > The next Gentoo Council meeting will take place on 2022-02-13
6 > > (Sunday), starting 19:00 UTC.
7 >
8 > > Please reply to this e-mail with proposed agenda items. If you
9 > > suggested anything between the last council meeting and now, you are
10 > > encouraged to raise the matter again in this thread and include
11 > > link(s) to your earlier communication.
12 >
13 > As I had announced in the January meeting, I'd ask the Council to
14 > pre-approve the list of features for EAPI 9, as listed here:
15 >
16 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Future_EAPI/EAPI_9_tentative_features
17 >
18 > - Eclass revisions [1]
19 > - EAPI of profiles defaults to repository EAPI [2]
20 > - Allow comments in profile parent files [3]
21 > - econf: Ensure proper end of string in configure --help output [4]
22 >
23 > This will be an EAPI with few new features, and its motivation is mainly
24 > to have eclass revisions. The second and third feature will affect only
25 > profiles, and the fourth feature is effectively a bug fix.
26 >
27 > There were also ideas about no longer exporting A (or alternatively, any
28 > variables) to the ebuild environment [5], but nobody has come forward
29 > with a concrete proposal yet. So, IMHO it will need more discussion and
30 > won't be ready for EAPI 9; developers who have asked for the feature may
31 > consider leading that discussion. IIUC, these would be the TeX and Go
32 > maintainers.
33
34 I think the issue with packages with large SRC_URI has very little to
35 do with ${A} (which I think has a straightforward fix) and more to do
36 with the 2nd and 3rd order effects.
37
38 Large manifests (because we have to checksum all the files and verify them.)
39 Very long computations (because we have to verify all the files.)
40 More mirror load (because these packages often pin on git commit,
41 instead of on released versions, or simply release very often, meaning
42 we are required to mirror 20-30 versions of a package instead of a
43 lower number.)
44
45 Solving A is easy, solving the other problems seems to involve tougher
46 tradeoffs.
47
48 -A
51 > Ulrich