From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:47:29
1 On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:39 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Wouldn't it make sense to have these assigned to the council?
6 >>
7 >> GLEP 39 states that "Global issues will be decided by an elected
8 >> Gentoo Council." Surely the social contract is a global issue, and I
9 >> don't see any exception in GLEP 39 pertaining to the social contract
10 >> specifically
13 > No -- it's a trustee issue. GLEP 39 is not written very well and is not
14 > explicit in what it means by "global issues", but in context it is pretty
15 > clear the Council is meant to address project-related problems that bothered
16 > ciaranm and g2boojum at the time, thus technical problems, and "global
17 > issues" are technical issues that span multiple projects.
18
19 GLEP 39 explicitly states that disciplinary matters are to be appealed
20 to the council, so clearly it isn't talking merely of technical
21 issues.
22
23 > And if you look at the definition of trustee responsibilities, "Oversee
24 > Adherence to the Social Contract" is one of them. This includes overseeing
25 > the Social Contract itself.
26
27 This is not part of the bylaws or articles of incorporation, and it
28 isn't clear who wrote that page, or from where their power was
29 delegated. And the wording does not actually say that this includes
30 overseeing the social contract, but merely its enforcement (though
31 with any disciplinary actions being appealed to the Council it would
32 seem subject to that limitation).
33
34 In any case, I'll admit that the original definitions of the structure
35 are a bit murky, but given that the Foundation is struggling just to
36 straighten out its books wouldn't it make sense to make revisions so
37 as to minimize the scope of their responsibilities so that they can
38 try to sustain the functions that we're still stuck with them handling
39 until a better solution is found?
42 Rich