From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] utilizing GH functionality that Gentoo infra does not provide
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 01:28:47
1 > On 1 Apr 2022, at 02:27, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
2 >> On 29 Mar 2022, at 18:56, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 >> [snip]
4 >
5 >> this is all orthogonal to the git content itself (objects, branches, tags,
6 >> etc...). those should remain in the read-only clobber mode that exists now.
7 >>
8 >> there is no downside for Gentoo here. it's all functionality that can be
9 >> had for free, does not introduce any risks, and many devs are already using
10 >> GH heavily for Gentoo projects -- albeit, they don't do it under the Gentoo
11 >> umbrella, they fork it into their own personal space and maintain it there.
12 >
13 > Yep, and I'm guilty of this as well. I've started making a list of some important
14 > repos we really need to mirror onto our infra at least (inc, but not limited to,
15 > pkgcore).
18 Sorry, just to finish making the point I'd intended on here: while this might
19 be true, I don't think it's a reason to depend on it more where there's
20 a decent argument against it. It's just a reason to actually migrate
21 away or at least ensure we have contingencies?