From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:25:53
1 On Sunday, July 1, 2018 3:37:56 PM EDT Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu wto, 26.06.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
3 >
4 > napisał:
5 > > To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
6 > > myself ;-).
7 >
8 > Next question from me, given the recent affairs.
9 >
10 > - How do you feel about Gentoo's use of GitHub? Do you support Gentoo
11 > providing resources for our users on GitHub? Or are you opposed to
12 > using GitHub at all?
13
14 As stated in previous emails, I absolutely support our use of Github as a
15 mirror only and allowing our users a familiar and easy way to contribute.
16 This has beared fruit in the form of new developers as well. I cannot
17 empirically prove it, but I would suggest that the current uptick in new
18 developers is due to Github providing a platform for them to contribute.
19
20 Regarding the events that occured, I think this is a lesson learned. While
21 embarrasing for our distro it was not impacting at a code level due to the
22 deployment model (mirror only). Many individuals have begun addressing the
23 areas that could be improved to ensure it does not happen again.
24
25 -Aaron