From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Proposal for Trustees: Reflect CoC in Bylaws
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:22:45
1 On 2015.04.26 19:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Roy Bamford
3 > <neddyseagoon@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > Its not a practical problem - yet.
6 > > The Foundation only has about five members from the user community.
9 > How many non-active former developer members does it have?
10 Thats difficult to say without an actual count. Members drop out if
11 they fail to vote in two successive Trustee elections. However, we
12 don't have a ballot every year because Trustee candidates can be
13 returned unopposed.
14 >
15 > I'm just pointing out that the constituencies are different.
16
17 Agreed.
20 > > A more inclusive approach may be to open council membership to all
21 > > contributors to Gentoo.
22 >
23 > I already proposed that. Apparently staff are already allowed to
24 > vote
25 > for Council. I'm fine with them being Foundation members as well.
26 I'm staff, so I'm glad you said that :)
27
28 > I even suggested offering staff membership to any foundation members
29 > who
30 > desire it, as long as they maintain the activity level required of
31 > staff.
32 That would be more trouble than its worth to measure. What is the
33 activity level required of staff today?
36 > If there are contributors who aren't staff I'm happy to talk about
37 > where they tend to fit into things, but I'd probably prefer making
38 > them staff than to having two different overlapping communities.
39 Defining "contributors" will be a whole new can of worms. So lets leave
40 that for its own thread.
43 > My intent isn't to be non-inclusive. However, ultimately Gentoo
44 > should be about people who are actively contributing to it today.
45 Agreed.
46
47 > Everybody else is welcome to use it, or talk about it. I just don't
48 > think they should have a vote in the Foundation, since they don't
49 > have the same stake in the results.
50 Nor the council for the same reason.
53 > The goal would be to:
54 > 1. Better recognize contributors by giving them staff titles.
55 > 2. Give the new staff even more of a voice in Gentoo, allowing them
56 > to vote for Council as well.
57 > 3. Hold our active contributors accountable to the CoC, etc.
58 > 4. Remove inactive former contributors from voting for
59 > Council/Trustees. (By all means recognize them as retired.)
60 > 5. Bring the Trustee/Council constituency into better alignment. I
61 > think this is a necessary step towards reconciling the whole
62 > "two-headed monster" issue, and I think it will reduce contention
63 > when
64 > trying to decide which body is responsible for what, since everybody
65 > has the same voice either way and we're just talking about who is
66 > most
67 > suited to what role.
68
69 Agreed. That's two new cans of worms in one reply. I do intend to open
70 this one in a new thread 'real soon now'.
73 > --
74 > Rich
81 Regards,
82