From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Corporate affiliations of Council members
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:21:08
1 On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 1:36 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 06:18:43PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > Here's another question for the Council nominees. I'd like to ask
7 > > the Council members to disclose their corporate affiliations,
8 > > in particular whether they are employed or in partnership with companies
9 > > using Gentoo or Gentoo derivatives.
10 > While I would like to know this information, I'm not sure that it can be
11 > disclosed in every case.
12 >
13 > I would consider it entirely possible that a council member works for a
14 > company, that has then bound via NDA, to not be permitted to make public
15 > statements about what their company uses or does not use.
16 >
17 > Further, for larger companies, I would see it entirely possible that the
18 > council member does not know about Gentoo usage in every corner of the
19 > company: the company is just too large.
20
21 I would leave it to individuals to disclose what they can.
22
23 I think the main concern is with people affiliated with companies who
24 are paying them to develop for Gentoo since the company uses Gentoo.
25 Ie their employer has a direct interest in what we're doing.
26
27 If you work in a mailroom at Airbus you probably wouldn't know if
28 somebody is using Gentoo in the A380 flight control system, but really
29 that isn't the kind of relationship most here are likely to care about
30 anyway.
31
32 I don't think there should be an expectation that people disclose all
33 their other affiliations if they have nothing at all to do with
34 Gentoo. The concern is that some company is paying somebody to run
35 for the Council/etc.
38 Rich